Jerome,

I think I now have it working. I edited the database by changing the
xwd_author, xwd_content_author, and xwd_creator fields in all entries
in the xwikidoc table from 'XWiki.Admin' to 'xwiki:XWiki.Admin'.

e.g. UPDATE XWIKIDOC SET XWD_AUTHOR = 'xwiki:XWiki.Admin' WHERE 1=1;

I can create the main workspace, and other workspaces. I can also
promote Simple members to Power user or Global admin.

Do you think I'll run into problems using this workaround?

Thanks,

Dan