Hi Lewis,

On Feb 22, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Lewis Denizen wrote:

> Hi xwiki-users,
>
> I've been playing with the new XWiki Syntax 2.0,

Great, we need feedback on the new syntax from using it in the real
world!

> but there are still some
> things possible with the old 1.0 syntax which are impossible in the
> new 2.0
> syntax.  One thing that I still cannot figure out is something like
> the
> following:
>
> {{html wiki=true}}
>    <th class="selectFilter">Space</th>
>    <th>Class</th>
>    <th>Server Name</th>
>    <th class="unsortable noFilter">Link</th>
> {{velocity}}
>  #foreach($serverDocument in $serverDocuments)
>    #foreach($serverObject in $serverDocument.getObjects($serverClass))
>      * $serverObject.HostName
>    #end
>  #end
> {{/velocity}}
> {{/html}}

I've tried your example and indeed it's not working. I've created the
following issue:
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-3258

You can monitor it if you want to follow the progress. I'll be working
on it tomorrow.

For now you can do the following:

{{velocity}}{{html}}

instead of

{{html}}{{velocity}}

> This gives me a lot of <br /> tags (the number of $server in
> $serverList),
> and ends up displaying 1 row with the literal string $server.Space,
> $server.Class, etc.  It works if I use the normal table syntax:
>
> |=Space|=Class|=Server Name|=Link
> {{velocity}}
> #foreach($serverDocument in $serverDocuments)
> |$serverDocument.Space|$serverDocument.Name|???|[[$serverDocument]]
> #end
> {{/velocity}}
>
> but I'm not sure how I'd iterate over each object associated with the
> document in the tag marked '???'.
>
> Also, whenever I have a {{velocity}} tag, I end up with a lot of
> empty <p>
> elements:
>
> * Line 1
>
> {{velocity}}
>  #set($foo = "bar")
> {{/velocity}}
>
> * Line 2
>
> This ends up with a <p> tag between "Line 1" and "Line 2", which
> seems very
> strange when rendered (since there's no content when "viewing").

This is normal. In the new syntax whitespaces and newlines are honored.

Thus if you want only one new line between line1 and line2 you'd need
to use:

* Line 1

{{velocity}}#set($foo = "bar"){{/velocity}}

* Line 2

> Just my 2 cents on the new syntax.  But other than that, creating
> macros now
> is a breeze (XWiki + Plexus is just purely amazing!), and I think
> the new
> syntax is only inches away from surpassing the old 1.0 syntax :-D
> Thanks
> again for the great work!

Cool. Please keep the feedback coming as you try the new syntax out.

http://xwiki.com
http://xwiki.org
http://massol.net