Norguir Bellagio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have crawled the mailing lists and support forums on this but I am
> unable to figure out the answer.
>
> I am evaluating Xwiki and love Workspaces from what I've seen so far.
> The one thing that really bogs me down is the inability to register an
> authenticated SMTP server. I have read there is a patch from Liliane,
> and the feature is included on 1.6 but I just can't seem to understand
> how to get is to work. In an evaluation perspective (and very much so as
> well in production), not being able to use authenticated SMTP server is
> a no go for me.
> Could you please point me to a resource that clarifies what the
> situation is and possibly, the steps to enable it on 1.7.
>
> Thanks !
>
> norguir

Actually I'm still waiting for it :/

I just made a quick check and it looks like that patch was not
committed, there's no support for setting username and password in
Administration, and registration mails still go via deprecated
XWiki.sendMessage, which is using Apache Commons SMTPClient (made
obsolete by JavaMail ages ago) and has no support for username/password
and extra properties.

As for mail.smtp.starttls.enable=true, AFAIK when used alone it simply
does not make sense.

_Please_ do something about it :/

If I remember correctly last time the main issue was that the code had
to be integrated in core instead of mail plugin, please, can't we have
the thing working at all first, worry about module separation later?
Basic mail support _is_ core functionality. For me it's a showstopper,
and I don't have enough time to maintain a private fork, either smtp
auth goes in, or I'm going out :/

And before someone says it's open source and I should stop bitching and
submit a patch - I _did_ submit a patch months ago :/

Greetings, Lilianne