Ari Oinas wrote:
> [...]
> Xwiki: Supports page transcluding. Section macro was easy to do, and I got
> to do it just the way I like it :)
> Confluence: I think it supports transcluding. Not tested it though.
>
> Requirement 2: Support for hierarchical information ( tree-like )
> MediaWiki: Very bad. Can be achieved using categories, but because Category
> is a namespace, category names must be unique which was unacceptable in
> mycase.
> Xwiki: Very flexible. Namespaces ( Spaces in Xwiki ) are easy to create and
> pages can be ordered hierarchically using page's parent -field.
>
> Requirement 3: Support for content localization/translation
> Mediawiki: None. AFAIK every language needs it's own Wiki.
> Xwiki: Built-in. Creating translated content is easy. Functions to retrieve
> translations still needs work, but are good enough to get the job done.
>
> Requirement 4: Flexible, easy to maintain user rights
> Mediawiki: User right management very restricted. Better with plugins but
> still poor.
> Xwiki: Superb! Very easy, yet powerful way to handle user rights. I really
> liked that user right has 3 options: allow, deny, neutral. This combined
> with user groups and spaces makes user rights management very enjoyable.
> TikiWiki: Frustratingly detailed. Has some very powerful features, but list
> of about 100 different user right parameters is very frustrating. (This
> opinion is based on very quick tests)
>
> Requirement 5: Ability make offline HTML dumps of wiki content
> MediaWiki: Possible (maybe with a plug-in, I don't remember)
> Xwiki: Supported natively. Yet, I decided to make my own XML Dump program
> which fetches content through XML/RPC interface.
>

> And now a list of pros and cons for every wiki I tested:
>
> Mediawiki:
> + Widely used, lots of help available
> + lots of plugins
> - hierarchical information support very bad
> - user right management limited and hard to comprehend
>
> TikiWiki:
> + Lots of features
> - User interface looks clumsy and is difficult to use ( maybe because I
> tested Xwiki just before this ;)
> - User rights management is overwhelming
>
> Confluence: ( not tested, opinions based on what I read about it)
> + seems finalized
> + used widely in enterprises and universities
> + XML/RPC interface
> - PRICE
>
> Xwiki:
> + Very slick UI
> + Macros / Programming capabilities
> + XML/RPC interface
> + User rights management
> + customer support
> - Seems in many ways incomplete/work in progress
> - Documention is scattered across the internets / help is very hard to find
> using Google. Most searches end up in Xwiki JIRA-pages.
> - Xwiki documentation pages seem disorientating. Even if I know theres some
> useful info there, it takes me 15mins to find it. (DevGuide, dev.xwiki.org,

The XmpRpcProxy page was created after you sent your first mail. I
published that page, as a result of your mail, so that it potentially
helps you. As you can see the notes in the page, it is only a draft.
When completed(fully maps the xml-rpc model&api) it will be linked/added
to the platform page.