Hello folks,
I am sorry to revive an old question I had asked in this forum but I wanted
to share this with everyone.
My statistics were not working on XWiki 1.7.2 originally.
Finally, I figured this out.

The database was MySql ver 4.x.x.

I got this legacy database to work on since XWiki was on testing mode for my
organization back then. I really did not have any option in the choice of
the MySql version at that point of time.
I had almost given up on getting the stats to work. But in the process of
setting up a test XWiki I installed MySql 5.4.
And the stats module worked !!!
Guess, I missed something in the XWiki install guides or maybe the version
compatibility (for database & app servers) is not mentioned in the install
guides.
My most sincere thanks to Sergiu & Thomas who took the time to answer my
questions when this thread was active.
Thank you everyone...