Hi,

First : I have the same understanding you have ... :)
Of course if you customize a template, you will have to check and merge if
needed when you migrate to a newer version, but it does not happen too often
(in my use cases at least). It's just the same when you customize a page
that belongs to the default pages in default wiki .xar. A good practice is
to have a list of the customisations you do, and to avoid them when possible
(or to fix to a specific xwiki version, but I don't like this solution).

Second : I'm not sure to understand ... For me xwiki look after resources
(css, images ...) by their name and might find them in your skin page or in
your skin folder in server or whatever ...