Hi Trevor,

I maintain XWiki farm for while using such a scheme for our internal
access.

For the DNS settings, you should consider that www, wiki, client1, and
client2 are hostnames.
You do not really need to define all of them separately, you just need
a wildcard record in you zone:

*  IN A  ip.add.res.s

Ability to use a wildcard as hostname may depend on your ISP, but this
is correct DNS usage and this ensure that anything.yoursite.com will
be directed to your XWiki. Please note that you may precede this
wildcard with normal A record, and these will take precedence (ie:
This is usefull if your mail server is in the same zone). The wildcard
record should be the last one in the zone.

Regarding the farm configuration, there are several things you must
know that may ease your maintenance. First, you should be aware that
it exist a fallback selection of the xwiki database, that trigger when
no XWikiServerXxxx page matches the hostname. This fallback consist in
taking the hostname up to the first dot as the wiki name. So that
client1.yoursite.com, will first check for any XWikiServerXxxx
containing a hostname like this, but if none are found, client1 will
be tried as the wiki name.
Second, if you have a xwiki.virtual.autowww configuation parameter
that is NOT equal to 0, your XEM manager will be reachable from
www.yoursite.com
, localhost or the IP address of your xwiki host.

For all other aliasing, you should use a proper alias in a
XWikiServerXxxx configuration as you had probably done actually.

Regards,

Denis