Rune,

Thanks for the idea, yes that would work too!  With that thought, I have found
"passwd.vm" and it looks like I can just put the validation in there.
I take it ".vm" files are Velocity macros, with a little javascript thrown in?
Not that I know either, but it doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks again for the pointer,
Trevor