I don't know if this will help, but I got that error when in hibernate.cfg.xml,
the part after /localhost/ in the line:

    <property name="connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost/xwiki? ...

did not match the table name in MySQL (I had changed it from the default
"xwiki").

Also make sure

    <property name="connection.username">xwiki</property>
    <property name="connection.password">xwiki</property>

match what's in MySQL.

Trevor