Gotcha. gwt-servlet-1.5.3 was hanging around in tomcat/lib.

Removing it and restarting it solved it.

It's not the first time I have such a mismatch, I wonder if it would
not be good to write a little sanity test for it and warn the user in
case.
Also, the fact that my error created a "zero action", not an error
panel, is somewhat bad for me. I would prefer the user to be "sent an
error panel in the face" instead of the tab click be as if it was
broken.

thanks Marius and Vincent.

paul