@Sergiu,

thanks for your comments!

> select distinct charset(xwd_content) from xwikidoc;

gives

+----------------------+
| charset(xwd_content) |
+----------------------+
| utf8                 |
+----------------------+

Besides, I just can't setup the complete MySQL instance as UTF-8 since
there are other databases online which I don't want to fiddle with.

> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/mysql/mysql-connector-java/5.1.12/mysql-connector-java-5.1.12.jar

nope, haven't done that, but will do within the next few minutes and
keep you posted

@Anca

>>    xwiki.store.migration=0
>
> Is this bothering you? could you try to leave it to the default and checkout
> how
> it goes?

Will do that, you should see the result of your suggestions within 30
minutes on this list ;)

Cheers & thanks again

Gregor
--
just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2