Hello,

I tend to think that your CSS selectors are not specific enough. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html .
You have to make sure that your CSS rules are taken in account after
the default XWiki CSS rules (ex: CSS StyleSheet linked in the header
after the default ones that contain the rules  that you want to change
=> this can be done by using skin extensions
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/SkinExtensionsTutorial
) and you have to make sure that your selector's specificity is
correct.

Raluca.