Many thanks for the response Ricardo :-)

On 19/09/2010 00:30, [Ricardo Rodriguez] eBioTIC. wrote:
> Hi Kaya,
>
> Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
> Yes, I think it is possible to perform a migration, even thought I've
> never done that. But, yes, I've moved XWiki installations from one
> server to the other without much difficulty. Provided both systems run
> the same XWiki release, the problems could only arise from the
> conversion of the Postgresql database to MySQL. I don't think the
> servlet container will do a difference once you adjust hibernate.cfg.xml
> accordingly.

I can keep the Postgres database that isn't a problem as it's available
on all platforms. However, when you say that Xwiki should be the same
release I was hoping to just copy the webapps/xwiki container as if I'm
not mistaken the xwiki.war file that I'm using gets extracted by
Tomcat/Glassfish or other which fully contains the Xwiki instance minus
the DB??.....

Moving that should keep everything in check with a few additions to the
hibernate.cfg.xml file if changing database! .....I presume as I need to
test this out fully first before things blow up in my face!

> [...]
>
> Thus, by fully backing up your database and once converted to the system
> of your choice and by moving the concerned /webapps directory to the new
> servlet container, functioning must be restored with a minor number of
> adjustments.

Ok, so I think you are explaining exactly the same thing as I've just
put above; meaning that I've got the right strategy in mind.

> Please, take into account that I've never moved XWiki installation
> across systems, only between boxes running the same servlet containers
> and relational database manager systems. Many times, different releases
> of those, but always the same products (MySQL and Tomcat here). I'm sure
> developers and/or more skilled users will correct this contents and add
> useful information.

I'll attempt with Glassfish but since I don't have any experience with
it, I don't know exactly how it deals with applications installed in it.
If not I'll switch back to Tomcat/Postgres combo but I'm sure running
the system on Solaris or Linux will be much better then my current BSD
install as Java seems to spin up the CPU to 100% meaning that from what
I've read and the 'top' code of uxtn that I'm getting, tells me that the
threads are getting stuck, not being able to address the memory
properly. Means I'll have to file a bug report with ISC and then debug
Java - something which I'm not really capable of doing since I'm not a
programmer and have no idea about Java.

> Hope this helps!
>
> Ricardo

Yep it helps a lot :-)