Hi Johannes, everyone,

actually this is sort of repsonse to Johannes @jstoldt contribution here
http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/Back-to-the-future-of-XWiki-tt6084764.html
regarding VM's and it is off-topic in either dev and user.

Johannes, why not drill deeper into this VM stuff ?
If you have spare time leftover and want to contribute -
why not be the first one to create an Amazon EC2 xwiki image ?

For newbies there are free Amazon EC2 accounts:
http://aws.amazon.com/de/free/

When creating a VM I'd check for an Ubuntu Ready-to-go image - there are
several hanging around.
Check the Ubuntu website for a recommendation.
Of course Linux background is beneficial - might be mandatory.
However with Ubuntu many installations are pretty straight forward and
well documented -
installation of database (postgres ?) - webserver (tomcat ?) and an
XWiki .war should be straightforward.

When you're are done and all is running fine you can make a template of
it for others to use.

I'd be interested in a report.
I'd love to do it but I'm lacking time now ...

As here is no real forum for this we might continue correspondence in
another place.

WDYT ?

Andreas