Vincent, thank you very much for your patient reply, I think I made a
mistake that I stand by the side of advanced user to see the problem of the
beginners who have litter idea of server side knowledge.

For beginners, I think the .exe and .zip install files are easy and
convienent enough for them to install xwiki. However, war file is also
convienient for advanced users to install and confirure their xwiki with
customized database and web container.

The thing confused me was that I didn't get through all the docs, and
finnally got a wrong jdbc jar for running xwiki properly. The reason I
didn't got the 5.x version first because I used 3.x version often in my own
java projects for almost 3 or 4 years, it worked fine all the time, so I
didn't think too much for using it in xwiki.

I think most of people who have the same mistake would have same situation
with me: old version was existed in their computor, and they might not try
to download one, it saves time.

Another advice for improving the installation instruction for mysql was
following:
- Add version required beside the driver download url link, for example "You
can download it from the MySQL Connector/J Driver
page<http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/j/>(
*! 5.x version required, 3.x version will result in errors*)or directly from
the Maven Central
Repository<http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/mysql/mysql-connector-java/>
."

I think it might be helpful for the advanced users to emphasize this tips.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> On 03/20/2011 02:04 PM, 许凌志 wrote:
> > Cause I am familar with java dev, and I prefer to install all under my
> > control, so I decide to install the war file and database by my own, that
> > makes me feel safe.
> >
> > Have you ever use some php application like Drupal, the install is very
> easy
> > through a wizard or install.php, I think it will be better if xwiki can
> > supply such wizard function through a friend interface.
>
> Strange, I always say how easy it is to setup XWiki compared to most
> other PHP applications.
>
> It depends on what's your starting point and what do you want to do.
> Setting up XWiki for complete beginners is much easier than setting up a
> PHP application for complete beginners. XWiki has an .exe that brings in
> everything, or it has a .zip that can be unpacked on a portable USB
> drive. Other than a working JVM, there's no need for advanced setup.
>
> On the other hand, PHP applications expect an already configured working
> LAMP/WAMP environment, and once you manage to get that working, and you
> unpack the application in /var/www/, it is easy to finish the
> configuration. Sure, now it's easy to get a working LAMP machine in a
> few minutes, if you're an advanced user, but for a non-tech windows user
> just wanting to try this thing, "the droo pal or what's it called", how
> do you explain setting up PHP on top of Apache HTTPD, and that's just so
> that you can begin installing Drupal.
>
> There are two distinct phases here, the installation and the
> configuration. XWiki, as most java web applications, is easy to install,
> but we're lacking on the first-run configuration part. We're aware of
> this, and we'll try to improve it.
>
> However, this is not the top priority feature that we should work on,
> since:
>
> - the initial setup is done once, by one person, so features that will
> be used by every user every day take priority over features that are
> used once by one user
> - for a very quick setup, we do provide the standalone packages
>
> The initial setup has been bugging me as well, and I'd like to see that
> part improved, but the fastest way to see it implemented is to get
> patches from contributors.
>

> Now, coming to your specific problem, I'm not sure it's really a valid
> point. Installing the right database connector is not something that
> should be done by the application itself in a first-run wizard. If it
> were able to do that it would actually signal a bad system setup,
> security-wise. It's a good rule not to allow web applications read-write
> access to the machine it's sitting on. PHP applications don't have this
> problem since PHP already offers the needed connectors. We could
> overcome this by packaging a bunch of connectors by default, it would be
> only a slight increase in size and in required memory. But I'm not so
> sure about that, currently I'm -0 for this idea.

> [...]

Best wishes,

许凌志(Jame Xu)

MOE KLINNS Lab and SKLMS Lab, Xi'an Jiaotong University

Department of Computer Science and Technology, Xi’an Jiaotong University