It's hard to tell what the problem is without knowing the version of
XWiki Enterprise you are using and the stack trace of the exception
thrown when you try to import an office document.

I suppose you already read
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Office+Importer+Application#HPrerequisites26InstallationInstructions

.

"Internally managed (local)" mode has always worked for me. I just
modify openoffice.homePath in xwiki.properties .

Did you open any office document with OpenOffice before trying the import?

Hope this helps,
Marius