On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 07:44:41AM -0700, AngeloG wrote:
> Hi Dale,
> I had a similar error 'Could not create a DBCP pool' when I first installed
> XEM on a Suse linux box, while all the rest seemed OK.
> So I tried to look inside Tomcat installation: open .../conf/server.xml  and
> go to the line that starts with
> <Connector port="8080" protocol ="HTTP/1.1" .....
>
> Comment all this section.
>
> Immediately after starts a section that is commented by default that starts
> witn the line
> <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
>
> Make this section live and add as suggested somewhere in the tutorial the
> line
> URIEncoding="UTF-8"
>
> Restart everything.
>
> It worked for me, even if I don't really know why (I am not a programmer or
> Java/Tomcat guru).
> Hope that can help you, too
>
> Angelo

I did the following:

    <!-- DMA20110804 Commented out as suggested by AngeloG-->
    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned. Documentation at :
         Java HTTP Connector: /docs/config/http.html (blocking & non-blocking)
         Java AJP  Connector: /docs/config/ajp.html
         APR (HTTP/AJP) Connector: /docs/apr.html
         Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080
    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!-- DMA20110804 Uncommented and added URIEncoding as suggested by
AngeloG-->
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               URIEncoding="UTF-8"
               redirectPort="8443" />

Rebooted the VM even, But I still get:

javax.servlet.ServletException: com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 3 in
0: Could not initialize main XWiki context
Wrapped Exception: Error number 3001 in 3: Cannot load class
com.xpn.xwiki.store.migration.hibernate.XWikiHibernateMigrationManager from
param xwiki.store.migration.manager.class
Wrapped Exception: Error number 0 in 3: Exception while hibernate execute
Wrapped Exception: Could not create a DBCP pool. There is an error in the
hibernate configuration file, please review it.