Hi Richard,

Here a quickfix: use max_allow_packet directive directly into your dump
command.

mysqldump --max_allowed_packet=512m nms_wiki > backup.sql

If you want to understand this more, you should try to change my.cnf, in
the section [mysqldump] (just like there is [client], you could create it
if you haven't) and try the command without putting max_allowed_packet into
the command, it should work too.

Sincerely,

--
Guillaume Fenollar