On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>
> > Hi Joris,
> >
> > plese see my answers below.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Joris Dirks <jo...@user.stekje.nl>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Before I promote this to a bug or improvement request, I'd like to get
> your
> >> feedback on my perceived problem.
> >>
> >> I'm having some trouble understanding how messages are handles.
> >> I must admit I don't even know where messages are being stored (googling
> >> "messages xwiki" doesn't exactly provide useful results ;)
> >> I expect all messages are stored in one general storage.
> >>

> > It's a bit more complicated than that. Messages are not stored in objects
> > nor documents the traditional XWiki way. They are stored as events in the
> > activity stream itself. Thus they do not respect the usual XWiki best
> > practices (I'm not even sure you can search the content of a message for
> > instance).
> >
> > Example usage:
> >> 1) create space Sandbox2
> >> 2) restrict view right for space Sandbox2
> >> 3) using SpaceDashboardTemplate, create dashboard for Sandbox2.WebHome
> >> 4) post message on this dashboard using the activity gadget, without
> >> changing the "visible to everyone"
> >>
> >> Result:
> >> message is not shown on Sandbox2.WebHome dashboard
> >>

> > This is because the message is stored globally whereas the code in space
> > dashboard display only the activity happening in that given space. In
> other
> > words, the message itself does not know that it is being posted from the
> > homepage of a specific space.
> >

> >> message is shown on Dashboard.WebHome
> >>
> >> User (at least I) would expect the message to be shown:
> >> - on Sandbox2.WebHome dashboard, because it's written there/for this
> group
> >> - on Dashboard.WebHome only when user has access to space Sandbox2.,
> with
> >> the attribution: "ExampleUser posted the message *in Sandbox2*"
> >>
> >> I expect this would change the fundamentals behind the messaging app
> >> because messages would have to be stored in a page in the space they are
> >> written in,
> >

> > Yes, that's a normal expectation, but as desribed above messages don't
> > really follow the usual XWiki conventions.
> >

> >> so I propose removing the 'post message' block in the activity
> >> stream when called for a space ($aSpace != $util.null)
> >>

> > Indeed, that sounds like an acceptable workaround. In any case I think a
> > parameter to select whether or not to display the message box should be
> > included by default in the {{activity /}} macro.
>
> For me it's completely separate and shouldn't be displayed at all by the
> activity macro. It should be displayed by another macro. And I think it
> should also be located in a different gadget.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

I see the value of displaying all updates (messages and changes) in one
stream, like Facebook does and Elgg now mimics. But moving the form to a
separate widget would now seem the most logical step, so admins have a
choice.
Perhaps commenting (on WebHome) would suit my personal needs if the
activity stream would show the comment itself.

Shall I propose an improvement in JIRA for moving the 'add message form' in
a separate widget?

Cheers, Joris