Hi,

As Arnaud said, there is no need to delete a DB, but it's always safer to
make a backup before the upgrade.

But when it's easy for a "regular" wiki, it could be a bit tough to upgrade
if you've made a lot of modifications to the code without committing them.
If you know what code page (from the default 2.7 xar) you modified in the
past, you can check the 3.5 xar before applying it, and perhaps merge them.
Otherwise, you only need to upload the 3.5 .xar and to exclude some
documents (XWiki.Admin, XWikiAdminGroup..). You can see a list of common
pages to exclude here:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade

Regards,

Guillaume Fenollar

2012/4/2 Arnaud bourree <arnaud.bour...@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> Excepted backup database file before migration for restoration, you
> don't need to export pages delete wiki and import back.
> IMO, the only one difficulty we have when migrating is the default
> xwiki.xar:
> 1- you may need to delete some pages included into xwiki-2.7.xar but
> removed in xwiki-3.5.1.xar
> 2- you should merge pages from xwiki-3.5.1.xar you have updated in your
> wiki
> 3- other pages could be simply imported
>
> But, how to know if page has been updated since 2.7?
> My solution is to always reset page version to 1.0 when import pages
> from last xar.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arnaud.
>
> 2012/4/2 Gerritjan Koekkoek <gerritjankoekk...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the best strategy for upgrading (2.7 -> 3.5.1) and making sure
> everything is based on the latest?
> >
> > I was thinking the following;
> >
> > Export the old Wiki (full Export)
> > Delete the Wiki
> > Clean installed Wiki
> > Import the Export
> > Import the XAR of a fresh Wiki
> >
> > Problem with above;
> >  With last step I overwrite and lose all modified pages (especially
> XWikiusers group)
> >  All imported pages are not modified to latest XWiki syntax
> >  profiles of XWikiUsers are based on OLD object definition
> >  Object def changes in BLOG (if any?)
> >  Script changes in Register procedure
> >  any other?
> >
> > Gerritjan