For my version you need to make changes in the Skin.
When you download the xar you have a XWikiOrgCode.Skin page. You should set
this page as your active skin in Administration -> Presentation -> Skin or
add to your skin in the header section these lines:
#template('global.vm')
$xwiki.includeForm('xwiki:XWikiOrgCode.MenuMacro',false)

Hope this helps,
Caty