Hi!
I had the same "problem" with non-debian configuration. I wanted also to set up
XWiki as root.
As Tomcat is not exactly web server, there are some solutions:

1. The way you described.

As far as I understood you have now "wikiless" path - without /xwiki part.
I raised this problem some time ago and Sergiu Dumitriu answered me following:

> 1. Is it crucial for XWiki and/or some XWiki applications to eat shorten URL
> on Tomcat's level?
> Will it affect, for example, on virtual wiki mapping for URLs based addresses
> like http://myfarm.net/xwiki/wiki/wikiname/?

XWiki should work just fine with the shorter URLs. The "xwikiless"
information might be very outdated, when it used to be true that some
parts of XWiki would fail.

I didn't get exact consequences of "very outdated" , thus solved it other way.

2. Set up Glassfish (or any other) - it can manage ROOT fine itself.

3. "Cover" Tomcat with an web server. I found nginx as best solution for me.

Finally I set up Tocat + nginx, that makes it very flexible and fast. If you
need - write me in private, I'd share a nginx configuration to solve a problem:
mydomain.com -> nginx -> localhost:8080/xwiki. So, endusers use only
mydomain.com paths.

The same is possible with any web-server actually.

Kind regards,

Dmitry

Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:30:03 +0200 от Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com>:

>On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Eugen Colesnicov <ecolesni...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
> I found solution for me. Sorry for stupid questions, but it is new expirience
>
> for me.
>
> Answer:
>
> - open folder /etc/tomcat6/Catalina/localhost. In this folder exists 2
>
> files: ROOT.xml & xwiki.xml.
>
> - delete ROOT.xml
>
> - rename xwiki.xml to ROOT.xml
>
> - edit ROOT.xml after renaming, change ..path="/xwiki".. to ..path="/"..
>
> - save ROOT.xml
>
> - restart tomcat
>

> Maybe it will helpful for somebody else.

It would be a nice addition to
>http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationViaAPT

;)

> --