Peter Fishwick wrote
> I want to change the home page that a user sees when they connect to the
> wiki so that it is more relevant to my company. I've tried to edit the
> page
> to remove the Activity list, Messages etc, but I don't seem to be aboe to
> do
> so.

Main.WebHome (this page open as a first start page) contains another page
(xwiki technology - include). You have many possibilities:
1) You should stop to including
2) You can edit included page
3) You can make automatic redirect from Main.WebHome to another page
4) You can define another page as a starting page

1) You should stop to including - this variant is very simple, but it is not
good for the perspective (for example, when you will make an XWiki
upgrading). But in your situation (first looking & studying) its enough.
To do it - edit Main.WebHome. After opening, You can change the type of
editor from the dropdown menu (in a same place where you clicked "edit") -
select wiki (default - WISIWIG). Now you can see the real content of this
page in a wiki syntax. You will see something like {{include
document="Dashboard.WebHome" context="new"/}} - simply delete this text and
save the page.
You can directly open Main.WebHome in a wiki-editor mode if you type
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/edit/Main/WebHome?editor=wiki - as You see -
right part of a link - "?editor=wiki" - defines type of editor. Also you can
change default type of editor in a XWiki preferences.