Hirji,

Running MySQL is good enough I feel.
Using Jetty makes it very easy to start just xwiki because of the packaging.
Otherwise, using other servlet containers should work.
Many have been using tomcat.
We, at curriki, employ the Sun Java Application Server, which is a version
earlier than Glassfish, and it is serving very well.
My experience was however that exploding the war is necessary in almost all
cases (and Glassfish supports this) so as to configure things.

paul