I have installed xwiki for testing on a windows 7 box using
xwiki-enterprise-installer-windows-4.2.exe. The installation is very simple,
but I can't get to xwiki after starting the server.

The default port is 8080 and just in case there was a conflict I changed it
to 8084 (in the start bat file, it's now set JETTY_PORT=8084). Still no luck
after restarting via the desktop icons.

For example using firefox to http://localhost:8084/xwiki I get

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8084.

It must be a common problem, but I don't find much on this topic.