Hi,

it should work but you need to add spaces to
{{menutype="vertical"position="right"id="panelmenu"}}
and make it (add spaces)
{{menu type="vertical" position="right" id="panelmenu"}}
this way it can read that you are calling the {{menu}} macro and it's
parameters.

Since this macro is JavaScript injected, it will be available just in the
page you define it, you need to change the skin to make it globally
available.

For an easier configuration you might want also to install this extension
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/NavigationMenuConfig

Thanks,
Caty