Hi all,

I've been looking for a long time a solution how to exclude some text from
the source, when linked to another page, but haven't found it yet.

We use XWiki as base of our help system for several applications. There are
a lots of common topics which have the same, or almost the same content on
each application help. So we built 'mother' pages of help which each and
other different applications help then are using by linking to them. Header
based tagging (we use XWiki syntax 2.1) is very user friendly for this
purpose. The problem is, there are slight variations in the content of the
text here and there between the applications.

An example:

There is a page explaining some settings of an application containing some
200 rows of text. Most, but not all of the rows are the same. I might then
like to do something like include the whole page in app #1 help, excluding
only rows 33, 52 and 55 from the page, but include them still to some other
app's help, and so on...

I imagine the above could be done with some smart tags, macros and links,
but as I am not a developer, so I can't do that and haven't found a
solution. A few years ago we used syntax 1.0, and if I remember right, there
was a possibility to include e.g. a sentence with tags, but not to exclude
anything inside the linked part of the text.

It is very irritating to copy and paste large amounts of text to different
pages with only slight differences between them. And then again, when the
'root' text has some change, e.g. a setting common to all apps changes, you
have go and edit each of the pages created with copy-paste. This could be
avoided if there was a way to include and exclude tagged text other than
just between the headings.

---

best regards

Tapio Seppala

P.S. Congratulations for the 10-year old!