Hello,

If you're in a component and your objective is to get a DocumentReference,
you could use the DocumentReferenceResolver instead:

 import org.xwiki.model.reference.DocumentReferenceResolver;

 // ...

 @Inject
 private DocumentReferenceResolver<String> docResolver;

For the dots issue, I didn't test but I think you can escape those that
should not count, like:

$xwiki.getDocument("MySpace.My\.Dot")

By default it would consider the last '.' dot as the space/page separator.

BR,
Jeremie