I once had quite bad problems when having an apache in between
who internally decoded an URI and then encoded it back, but only "barely" ...
However it seems this is ruled out here, if the problem happens with tomcat,
too.

How do you reproduce the issue with tomcat directly?

a) if you directly *call* a page with an '"' in the URL
  then I'd say, the error is ok, the URL should have been encoded.

b) however if you first go e.g. to the wiki start page,
  and then navigate to the page with quotes in the names, then
  XWiki should encode the url properly, and this error should not happen ...

Can you see what tomcat writes in its access log for that page?

Can you check in the generated HTML of a link that the '"'
is actually encoded as '%22" in the href attribute? (Actually
this must be the case as otherwise the quote would just terminate the href,
at least in these cases where double quotes as attribute delimiters rare used.
)

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar