In 7.4.1 (standalone installation) I'm trying to create a new skin using A.
and C. in http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins. I've a
couple of different variations but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The steps I followed are:

1. Login as Admin - URL is http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Main/
2. Edit URL and go to http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Main/MySkinPage/
3. I see that the page does not exist and follow the 'edit this page' to
create it.
4. Press the Create button and then Save & View.
5. Open the Objects editor and select the XWiki.XWikiSkins class - press Add
6. In the object properties, set the Name to 'My New Skin'
7. Set the base skin to 'flamingo' - Press Save & View.
8. Select the Test this skin link and everything looks fine.
9. Go to Administer Wiki -> Presentation.
10. Set both the Stylesheet and Stylesheets fields to Main.MySkinPage
11. Set the Skin field to 'My New Skin' and press Save.
12. This results in a Java error
Caused by: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index
9: /skins/My New Skin/admin.vm

I thought maybe the error was that spaces were not allowed. So I created a
new instance and followed the same steps but in steps 6 and 11 used
'MyNewSkin'. Then the browser showed the following:
Error
You are not allowed to view this page or perform this action.
The URL was
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=globaladmin&section=Presentation&space=XWiki

I also thought that maybe in step 11 I need to use Main.MySkinPage instead.
This resulted in the same error, i.e.