For the sake of completeness I thought I would report back that I did end up
editing the color theme to make my modifications except for the font size. All
the edits to the color theme worked great but for some reason changing the base
font size grossly enlarges the header size. Making this same change in the
variables.less file works as intended by enlarging text but leaving the other
element sizes alone.

Regards,

Jesse