As you suggested I created a copy of the navigation panel to work on.

My xwiki pages are structured as follows:
https://url/xwiki/bin/view/Projects/FOO/
https://url/xwiki/bin/view/Projects/FOO2/
[...]

Inside "Projects" there are several "main" pages for each project (FOO is an
example of the main page of a project).
FOO page has a tree structure as you correctly wrote:
FOO.A.WebHome
FOO.A.B.WebHome
FOO.X.Y.Z.WebHome

I thought there were be something similar to manage the new pages logic (an
easier way to navigate nested pages).
Your suggestion about creating a new document reference using document
reference works well, I "played" with substrings:

#set ($index = $openTo.indexOf('xwiki:') +6)
#set ($index2 = $openTo.indexOf('.',16))
#set ($subb = $openTo.substring($index,$index2))
#set ($resultpage= $subb.concat('.WebHome'))

Is there a better way to gain this result?

Thank you again,
-Matteo