Thanks Marius. So, I infer that at least in some circustances XWiki will
accept the images embedded in a word document. Great.

This is xwiki 8.4.3; using the ckeditor which comes with the war install by
default.

I am not sure which of the options you outline might apply here. It is
probably rhe first option you mention "there's no img HTML tag because Word
doesn't copy the image along with the content"; how can I test that? I find
that I cannot copy paste the doc with image to another instance of word; the
images are lost, just like they are in xwiki paste. That surprised me. The
images are "embedded" in the word document. I don't see a source attribute
at all. Do you have any idea if Word can "offer" the embedded images for
copy/paste? Learning something I didn't know about Word here.

The same document will import using the openoffice feature. I guess they are
not related features? I mean import and copy/paste of word documents?