Agreed,

The longer you leave it, the longer people might use it instead of the
official. As of today, the official isn't even the first to appear in the
list when you search for xwiki in dockerhub (but I suspect this will soon
change as people start pulling it).

And people who already have pulled it won't be affected aside from the fact
that they won't get updates, so no impact for them.

Regards,
Denis