Is it supposed to be ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_USER instead of
ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_S3_USER?

That’s what I have in my config:

[
  {
    "configurations": [
      {
        "classification": "export",
        "properties": {
          "ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_S3_BUCKET": "mybucket",
          "ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_STORAGE":
"org.apache.zeppelin.notebook.repo.S3NotebookRepo",
          "ZEPPELIN_NOTEBOOK_USER": "user"
        }
      }
    ],