Hi Mark,

you may want to check the spark interpreter settings. In the most recent
version of zeppelin you can set it to shared, isolated or scoped.

Shared: single interpreter and spark context (and the queuing you see)
Isolated: every notebook has its own interpreter and spark context
Scoped: every notebook has its own interpreter but they share a spark