Hi Everett,

this is a very good question actually.

Right now there is not, but it sounds as a great feature, so may be worth
filing a JIRA issue.

There was a discussion when this feature was contributed [1], [2] and there
also is some work on having ability to manually override text\number column
type from GUI, but AFAIK that was not finished yet.

 1. https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/1371
 2. https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/1363
 3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1371

--