Looking at 0.7 docs, Shiro LDAP authentication shiro.ini configuration
looks the same.
http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/security/shiroauthentication.html

Any ideas why this might be broken in the current snapshot?

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.shiro.config.ConfigurationException:
Unable to instantiate class [org.apache.zeppelin.server.LdapGroupRealm] for
object named 'ldapRealm'.  Please ensure you've specified the fully
qualified class name correctly.
        at org.apache.shiro.config.ReflectionBuilder.createNewInstance(
ReflectionBuilder.java:151)
        at org.apache.shiro.config.ReflectionBuilder.buildObjects(
ReflectionBuilder.java:119)
        at org.apache.shiro.config.IniSecurityManagerFactory.buildInstances(
IniSecurityManagerFactory.java:161)

--
Ruslan Dautkhanov