I found the problem with the interpreter installation. It turns out that
Zeppelin tries to resolve maven dependencies in http://repo1.maven.org (the
unsecured website) and it is returning HTTP 501, meaning that we can't use
HTTP to access Maven Central but the secured HTTPS website. Even the JUnit
tests are failling.

After changing the code and the test to the HTTP Maven Central it worked.

I'm going to create a JIRA for this and send a PR as soon as possible.