I have tried some permutations, and one of them ended up working fine, so
shiro-remote-user appears to be perfectly OK, thanks.

(Still no idea what is wrong in my original setup, but it involved two
proxies, and a load balancer, and one of them must
be messing up some part of protocol)

--
Vladimir Prus
http://vladimirprus.com