To add a little more info, my first attempt at getting Zeppelin up and running
was on my work laptop. I followed the same installation steps on my personal
laptop (just in case my work laptop had some weird restrictions set on it), and
I got the same results. The installation/set up steps that I was using are:

1.       Download and install VirtualBox and Hortonworks Sandbox HDP 2.3

2.       Download
zeppelin-0.5.0-incubating-bin-spark-1.3.1_hadoop-2.3.tgz<http://apache.spinellicreations.com/incubator/zeppelin/0.5.0-incubating/zeppelin-0.5.0-incubating-bin-spark-1.3.1_hadoop-2.3.tgz>
 and untar into /usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557

3.       Change Ambari port from 8080 to 9000

4.       Execute [root@sandbox zeppelin-0.5.0-incubating]#
bin/zeppelin-daemon.sh start to start Zeppelin

5.       Go to 127.0.0.1:8080 in browser and stare at Zeppelin home page with
"Disconnected" status

6.       Vent frustrations on coworkers

Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Steven