I see two components.

1. To ability to have multiple interpreters of the same time, but use
different configuration options. a jdbc1, jdbc2, spark1, spark2, spark3,
etc.  What ever you want to name them is great, but spark1 would use the
SPARK_HOME that is configured, and spark2 would use a different SPARK_HOME
or spark submit options.  That's the top level.

2. Ability to alias %interpreter to what ever interpreters are defined.
I.e. I could do %jdbc1 for Drill, %jdbc2 for MySQL. And then have a file
let as a user, I can say "I want %mysql to point to %jdbc2, and %drill to
point to %jdbc1.

For #1, the idea here is we will have multiple instances of any given
interpreter type. for #2, it really should be easy for a user to make their
environment easy to use and intuitive. Not to pick on your example Rick,
but as a user typing %spark:dev.sql is a pain... I need two shift
characters, and another non alpha character.  whereas if I could just type
%dev.sql and had an alias in my notebook that said %dev pointed to
%spark_dev that would be handy It may seem like not a big deal, but having
to type something like that over and over again gets old :)