Dennis Brownridge wrote:

> I would say, more like [having to learn measurement] a dozen times, since at
> least 400 different units are
> used in the U.S., while SI has only 30.

I think that it's worse. I saw some kind of lesson plan (I'm not a teacher) for
gardening that involved designing a garden plot. The intent was to learn area,
perimeter, etc. The students were to be given centimeter paper, and design a
garden, using a scale of one centimeter = one foot. So not only are they being
given all of these units, they are not being taught any kind of useful
relationships.

I wonder if some of these elementary school teachers would get the point if I
threw a bunch of flash cards with words in front of them and said "here,
arrange these any way you like. Now you know how to read."

mike jenkins
laurel, md