A couple industry articles....

Nat

PS I like the "explosive demand" for 2-mm connectors.

Design News,  April 23, 2001,  Departments; Editorial; Pg. 13,  321 words,
Life in the not-so-fast lane,  By Karen Auguston Field, Chief Editor

April 23, 2001

SECTION: Departments; Editorial; Pg. 13

LENGTH: 321 words

HEADLINE: Life in the not-so-fast lane

BYLINE: By Karen Auguston Field, Chief Editor

BODY:
Despite radar patrols, speed traps, and costly fines, our nation's efforts
to put the brakes on speeding drivers have made little impact. Boston
drivers, whose only realistic limitations on speed are the equations of
relativity, are an excellent example.

I, however, have come up with a solution that works. Post speed limits in
metric units. I proved it recently while driving across Morocco. There speed
limits are posted in kilometers, just like virtually everywhere else on the
planet except the U.S. and the U.K., where at least they have a better
excuse!

During a cross-country trek, I tore my eyes away from the exotic sights long
enough to realize that our rental car--with my lead-footed husband at the
wheel--was not exactly hustling along. I'm not sure what the maximum land
speed of a donkey is, but I'm positive a few of them passed us on the road
to Marrakech.

Notwithstanding the fact that our Fiat began to shake violently at about 100
km/hour, I was curious. Why did this speed demon seated next to me have no
compulsion whatsoever to drive the 120 km/hour speed limit, much less exceed
it? His answer: "It doesn't make any sense, but when the needle on the
speedometer hits triple digits, I feel like I'm going really fast."

Can this kind of psychological governor work on all speeders? One
shortcoming of using the metric system is that it will probably only be
effective on people who have to do the conversion in their heads--in other
words, every U.S. citizen currently holding a valid driver's license.

But perhaps we need to consider a different system of units. A speed limit
of 65 miles/hour in Base 8 (101) would meet the 3-digit psychological thresh
hold. So would Roman numerals (LXV), which would be a heck of a lot more
interesting. But, hey, what about Binary (1000001)? Just trying to keep
track of all those digits would make us all forget we were in a hurry to get
somewhere!

Purchasing,  April 19, 2001,  Departments; Electronics; Pg. 47,  1050 words,
Supply conditions improve for 2-mm HM connectors,  Staff

April 19, 2001

SECTION: Departments; Electronics; Pg. 47

LENGTH: 1050 words

HEADLINE: Supply conditions improve for 2-mm HM connectors

BYLINE: Staff

BODY:
Leadtimes are returning to normal for 2-mm hard metric (HM) connectors,
which are used primarily in telecommunications equipment. Because of a
slowing economy, weaker demand and high inventory levels, leadtimes are
falling back to the 10-week range as opposed to last year when delivery
times stretched to as much as 40 weeks.

The 2-mm connectors provide high-density and high-speed signal integrity for
telecommunications, transmission equipment, digital cross connects and
networking applications.

In many cases, 2-mm HM connectors were hard to come by last year because of
explosive demand from the telecommunications sector, which resulted in an
allocation situation where leadtimes shot out to about 40 weeks.

The worldwide 2-mm hard metric (HM) connector shipments were $876 million in
2000 and are forecast to reach $1.8 billion by 2005, with a compound annual
growth rate of 15.4%, according to Fleck Research, Santa Ana, Calif.

Even with the economic slowdown, connector manufacturers expect healthy
growth in 2001. For instance, Molex Inc. is forecasting more than 30% growth
for its backplane products this year.

Similarly, Tyco Electronics sees strong demand particularly from optical
networking and wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) markets, which will
drive growth in the 30%-40% range this year.

Slower demand in combination with more production capacity brought online by
major manufacturers such as FCI USA, Molex Inc., Tyco Electronics and new
players including Fujitsu Takamisawa and Packard-Hughes Interconnect (PHI)
has eased availability problems.

"We find that demand is much lower than it was a few months ago. OEM demand
has decreased; they aren't selling as many boxes. As a result, the supply
chain has found itself in an inventory situation where they are trying to
support OEM demand that is no longer there," says David Brearley, product
group manager for backplane products at Molex Inc., Lisle, Ill.

Additional production capacity will spell relief for many buyers after
battling long leadtimes of about 20 to 40 weeks during most of last year.
Connector manufacturers now report leadtimes at less than 10 weeks, which is
a dramatic turnaround from last year.

"We were allocating product as late as January, but now we have a four to
six week leadtime," Brearley says.

"In a way it's a chance for us to catch our breath because we've been
working so hard to expand capacity over the past couple of years. It's been
a race and this allows us to get on top of it and meet our committed
delivery dates every time," he adds.

FCI USA Inc., Etters, Pa., more than doubled its capacity for its 2-mm
connectors last year, which will enable the company to bring deliveries back
to a six-to-eight-week range by the second quarter.

However, slackening demand has also contributed to shorter deliveries.

The telecommunications companies had very aggressive growth plans, but all
of a sudden demand far exceeded supply as of the November-December
timeframe, says Bob Thornton, product marketing manager for Fujitsu
Takamisawa America Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif.

"They're experiencing a slowdown that is expected to run anywhere from six
months to one year and that is having an impact on component demand and
capacity," Thornton adds.

To help ease the availability problem and meet future demand, two connector
manufacturers entered the 2-mm HM connector market this year. In January,
Fujitsu Takamisawa America Inc. began to roll out its line of 2-mm
connectors. Deliveries for the product range between six to eight weeks.

PHI began shipping its neone 1 million 2-mm HM connectors this year.
Leadtimes for female connectors are four to six weeks and about 10 to 12
weeks for custom male connectors. Product is available through its existing
distribution network.

"This market is looking for industry-standard capability as well as multiple
sources," says Dr. Eric Jensen, 2-mm hard metric value stream manager for
Packard-Hughes Interconnect (PHI), a subsidiary of Delphi Automotive
Systems, Irvine, Calif.

"We saw a real need [in the communications, datacommunications and
telecommunications marketplace] for high-speed connectors. If we truly
wanted to follow our customer's technical road map, then we had to look at
what they need today as well as in the future," says Gail Miller, director
of marketing for PHI.

Although demand has slowed, many connector manufacturers are moving ahead
with production capacity plans for this year. Although certain segments of
the telecommunications market have softened, demand remains high for this
type of connector, according to PHI.

Miller says there is still constrained supply for second-tier customers.

Brearley says the way Molex has tooled its VHDM and HSD production lines
makes it much easier for the company to meet either an uptick or slowdown in
demand. "We use the same process for making all of those products. If demand
turns out to be high for the HSD family and not so high for another product,
then we can adapt that increment of capacity for those products," he says.

The slowdown gives manufacturers a chance to take a breath to focus on
product improvements and expansion.

While buyers may have expected lower prices because of excessive capacity,
connector makers say prices remain stable for the 2-mm connectors. Many of
them have progressive price reductions already built into their strategy
plans year to year so they don't anticipate dramatic price erosion due to
the slowdown.

"There's been a lot of competition for a long time and there's not a lot of
room for prices to dramatically go down. But there will be pressure as
people try to gain a piece of business," Brearley says.

Tyco Electronics, Harrisburg, Pa., expects there will be some additional
pressure put on the industry as more competitors enter the market and if
added capacity comes online. Five percent erosion in prices this year will
not surprise the company, according to a company spokesperson.

A rebound in the second half of 2001 for 2-mm connector makers centers on
the health of the telecommunications sector, particularly for broadband
services such as DSL, optical transmission, wireless services and cable TV.
But 2-mm connector manufacturers say they will be ready to meet demand.