Martcus wrote in USMA 13627:

>Unlike you may think, Jim.  I actually have only two general comments to
>make here.
>Therefore, please remember that the ultimate goal of all of us is to find
>means to make metrication happen, but happen fast, effectively and (why
>not?) even efficiently!  The whole problem is that some, like you, are
>trying to 'reinvent the wheel', so to speak, and want to come up with
>strategies that would avoid government compulsory metrication.  Well...
>Again, history seems to be unquestionably proving that (so far...) there
>is no other way.  The closest effort to 'your way' that I can think of
>that was successful was the Australian experience.  But even there, it had
>to have 'teeth' in it, otherwise, it, too, would have failed in time.

Quite right that the Australian experience was successful, and that it had
teeth in it.  However, Australia had a very effective Metric Conversion
Board that coordinated metric conversion from 1970 to 1980.  The following
are some of the steps taken in Australia:

'Standardized' goods after 1976 January 1 could only be marked in
prescribed metric quantities.

The South Australian Government legislated in 1975 August that:
   *All* weighing and measuring instruments used for trade had to be converted.
   *All* goods weighed or measured in the presence of the customer had to
be priced per metric unit
   Imperial prices were permitted, provided that they were no more
prominent than the metric price,
   Penalties up $100 might be applied for non-compliance .
Similar legislation followed in the other States.

Legislation provided cut-off dates after which only metric scales would be
reverified

Prosecutions were rare, but three were reported in South Australia within
the first year.

In Queensland the fine for first offence was $200, and for subsequent
offences $400.  Fines in other states ranged from $40 to $200

The final report of the Metric Conversion Board said
"Whilst conversion involved the *voluntary participation* of those
concerned to the greatest extent possible, programs have been supported
where asppropriate and/or regulated by *mandatory legislation*."

The total sum of money expended by the Board in its eleven years of
operations was $5 955 000.

A report from the Metric Section of the Department of Science and