On 23 Jan 2002, at 21:35, Gene Mechtly wrote:
> I strongly support your advocacy of m/s for speed, but for all speeds,
> not just for wind, aircraft, and for ships at sea.
> My extraction of some of your words more exclusively favors m/s only.
> > ... It is one of the key areas of metrication for the aeronautics and
> > seagoing industries ­ so we should get it right. ...
> > The SI unit for wind speed is metres per second, and its SI symbol is
> > m/s. ... appropriate SI prefix ... gives possibilities such as
> > ... kilometres per second (km/s). ...
> > ... It would be best if we used the SI unit ­ only ­ ...

first note: on sea 1 m/s is about 2 knots , and so conversions are
very easy (and if you consider how in origin were stated nautical
mile and meter .the "about" would have been "equal")
second note: In my car the tachometer is about 4% in excess (law
state that it must have a tolerance of +5-0 % so when i protested i
was told that it was "normal" and had no right to have it replaced.
However the engine angular speed meter is graduated in rpmx100
(never seen a car dashboard instrument graduated in radiant per
second ) . Actually in 5th gear, the one I usually use on highway, it
give me the exact [at at least, less than 1% difference] speed in
m/s ... pherhaps a chance, but it is ...

Leonardo Boselli
Firenze
http://www.toscanarail.org