Thanks for the reply Bill.

There is no person faster than I am when it comes to appologizing when I am
in error or I have offended anyone.

My intention is not to offend but to criticize. The word enemy was used as a
comparison.

As for how one can metricate without adopting metric standards, hence
international, hence ISO standards you will find my opinion in the posting
Metric Standards or not?

I am in total disagreement therefore that one can keep the ifp standards
while switching to metric. And this includes the standards for printing
media.

However, I agree that one does not have to adopt ISO 216 (or any other)
standard and still go metric. But then one has to reinvent the wheel and
come up with another hard metric standard, which I find stupid to say the
least, as long as there is no clear need for a different international
standard for printing media. And if this was the case then that standard
should be submitted for approval to ISO and become the new ISO standard for
printing media.

What many people in this association don't seem to grasp is that ISO 216 is
hard metric in every respect and that since it is the standard for printing
media used by more than 90% of the world, it should be the standard of
choice for USMA.

And YES Bill one HAS to use ISO 216 in order to use the metric system as
much as one has to adopt the metric threads, the metric pipe sizes, bearing
sizes, the metric electric motor sizes and so on. Without these standards
there is no metric system!!!
All this because, as you say, all units could be inches furlongs or cubits
and then, the paper will still be called 11x17 the bolts still 1/2" and the
motors still 1/3 HP no matter how some bureaucrats decide to measure them,
and the best example for this statement is the Canadian situation.

And if we go this route, Bill, we will forever be in today's situation where
after 85 years of such USMA policy nothing has been achieved other than some
shy and illiterate metric statements in paranthesis on prepackaged goods,
which are viewed by all Americans as being for the Spanish speaking people
and not for true Americans.

Finally, it appears to me that some old ways and ideas are so much burned
into some members' minds that they find no-matter-what reason to shut the
door on any new idea or well-meant criticism. As a teacher you will have to
agree with me that when one reaches this point the hope is lost. And hope is
something USMA cannot afford to loose.

Adrian.