Dear All:

As I look forward to a long flight to Australia, I will recount the story of reading a paper by a US Associate Professor who used the term consistently metric ton. It took up so much space in the paper and was repeated time after time. In the end I went back and changed them all to Mg. Academic paper space is scarce we do not need to waste it.

The author also spelt out kilometers several times.

Just out to interest how does one spell mitre in the USA as in mitre box.

And in Australia I was asked by a student if we used plywood sheets that are 1.2 m wide
does anybody know.

John Nichols BE, Ph.D. (Newcastle), MIE (Aust), Chartered Professional Engineer
Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University
Department of Construction Science
Langford AC