The gauss uses G as its symbol, not g.

As the English versions of unit names in SI are always lower case, GRAM
would be totally unacceptable. In speech, there would certainly be no way to
distinguish between gram and GRAM.

With the obsolete Calorie and calorie, one could at least understand which
was intended by the context. The large C Calorie (Cal, which equals 1000
small c calories) was used only in the field of nutrition and the small c
calorie (cal) was never used in that field.

Bill Potts, CMS
Roseville, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]