Sent: Saturday, 2003-01-18 09:29
Subject: [USMA:24485] Re: non-metric units on medicine

I'm not sure, but I haven't seen grains for a long time (bottles of aspirin, so many grains per tablet). Most are grams or milligrams now. Also, millilitres seem to be making headway in the liquid medications, i.e. the dosage says to take 5 ml instead of a teaspoon. Most medicine droppers are marked in ml only now.

When my daughter was in the hospital a month ago for spinal fusion surgery, everything was metric (although they said "cc" instead of ml or cm3. Her mass was recorded in kilograms, temperature in degrees Celsius, and so on. (This was at Children's Hospital in Boston.)

 Terry Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is it true that medicines in the US can have non-metric units on them such
as 'grains'?

--
Terry Simpson
Human Factors Consultant